Inside the World’s No. 1 Air Spring:
Airide springs are available in single, double and triple convolution types plus reversible sleeve models for virtually every conceivable heavy-duty vehicle suspension application.
1) Stud - Manufactured as a permanent part of the bead plate assembly for maximum strength and durability. Used to attach the spring to the vehicle’s suspension.
2) Combo Stud - Serves the dual purpose of mounting the spring to the suspension and providing an entrance for air.
3) Blind Nut - Also a permanent part of the bead plate assembly. Provides an alternative mounting system to the stud.
4) Air Fitting - Usually 1/4 N.P.T. Provides an air entrance to the bellows.
5) Bead Plate - Crimped onto the bellows at the factory for a more durable design and maximum quality control. Allows 100% leakproof testing prior to shipment.
6) Bellows - The 'air bag' includes four plies of material: an inner layer, two plies of cord-reinforced fabric, and an outer cover. Natural rubber construction provides functional properties to –65F.
7) Bumper - A solid rubber or engineered plastic device designed to prevent significant damage to the vehicle or suspension in the event of a sudden loss of air pressure in the spring.
8) Piston - Provides a lower mounting arrangement for the air spring. Controls the characteristics of the spring under changing pressure loads.
9) Piston Bolt - Attaches the piston to the bellows. Sometimes extended as a means of attaching the spring to the vehicle suspension.
10) Girdle Hoop - A wire-wound ring molded into the bellows to provide lateral stability in convoluted type springs.
Composite Piston - Firestone offers a composite fiberglass reinforced plastic piston into its reversible sleeve Airide springs for bus suspensions.
These pistons are manufactured from a high percentage, glass filled thermosetting resin using stateof-the-art SMC technology. Compared to conventional steel or aluminum pistons, they are lighter, more impact-resistant, and impervious to atmospheric corrosion, water, salt, and ice-melting chemicals, plus their smooth non-porous surface finish virtually eliminates the buildup of harmful dirt and grit. This allows the rubber bellows of the air spring to last much longer due to significantly reduced wear as the bellows flexes up and down the smooth piston. At temperatures as low as -40°F, the new pistons are 100% functional.
Firestone Airide springs make big differences on heavy duty trucks and trailers in many ways.
Primary Trailer Suspension Air Springs provide outstanding cargo protection while reducing maintenance problems caused by road shock and 'trailer hop' when empty. Trailers last longer and can be used to haul a wider variety of cargo, reducing expensive empty trailer miles.
Lift Axle Air Springs allow you to lift the axle without ever leaving the cab. Saves tire wear under empty or partial load conditions and lets you negotiate tight corners with spread tandems.
Drive Axle Air Springs substantially improve the ride and handling of the tractor, resulting in greater driver comfort and safety, less tractor maintenance, longer tire wear and higher trade-in value. They require little maintenance and last more than twice as long as steel springs.
Front Axle Air Springs significantly improve steering and handling while improving tire wear and reducing problems caused by cab vibration.
Cab Mount Air Springs eliminate most problems experienced with standard cab mounts and help reduce damaging cab vibration.
Seat Air Springs increase driver comfort and help alleviate hazardous driver fatigue.
Although air springs are produced in single, double and triple convoluted and reversible sleeve styles, only those manufactured by Firestone Industrial Products Company bear the trademark 'Airide'.
Airide springs were pioneered and perfected by Firestone, and only Firestone offers a complete line of Airide springs, with replacement springs available for virtually every vehicular air suspension system. Today, Airide springs are used by practically all manufacturers who offer air suspension on their vehicles.
While it may appear simple, an air spring is actually a highly sophisticated and complex product. Even slight changes in design, methods of construction, or materials used can make vast and significant differences in performance.
It makes good sense to specify Airide springs by Firestone. That trade name on an air spring guarantees you the benefit of the very latest technical developments and improvements. It is your assurance of a product not only engineered and perfected to perform, but which also has a long history of superior performance in actual use.
Replacing worn out or broken air springs? Need help indentifying which air springs or air bags you need for your heavy duty truck, trailer or bus suspension? Review this air spring identification guide, or call 1-800-358-4751 to speak to a firestone air spring specialist.
Firestone Industrial Products has the largest North American infrastructure of any air spring manufacturer. Their experience and technical innovation dates back to 1938 with a patent for a pneumatic suspension device to be trademarked the Airide spring. Firestone Industrial Products, a subsidiary of Bridgestone Firestone Diversified Products (BFDP), specializes in air spring manufacturing and technology with a history of more than 65 years of research and development of technologically advanced air springs. With headquarters in Indianapolis, Ind., and six quality certified manufacturing/assembly plants located on four different continents, the company produces suspension products for commercial trucks & trailers, cars, sport utility vehicles, light trucks, minivans, vans and motor homes. For more information visit www.fsip.com
Worried about making a return? Don't be! We want you to be completely satisfied with your purchase. Our No Hassle Return Policy ensures that you can return any product, for a full refund within 30 days of purchase for any reason. Items must be returned in new, unused and in resalable condition and in its original packaging. All returns are subject to approval by a store manager.
If your shipment is damaged during shipping, a claim must be made within 5 days of receipt. Please open your package and inspect upon receipt. If a package arrives damaged please save all packing materials and contact us immediately at 1-800-358-4751.
Before returning your item, please call us at 1-800-358-4751. Please note the following:
All rights reserved. TruckSpring.com is a trademark of Michigan Truck Spring, Inc.